Everyone has whats called a spine. It runs all the way up and down your back. People tend to forget that you only have one, and there are no transplants for a new spine. So in order to keep it healthy you have to take care of it. So here are a few tips that you can do, given by the American Chiropractic Association, to a better spine:
- When standing, keep one foot slightly in front of the other, with your knees slightly bent. Doing this takes pressure off your low back.
- Do not stand bent at the waist for a long period of time.
- Avoid twisting while lifting. Twisting is one of the most dangerous movements for your spine, especially while lifting.
- If the item is to heavy to lift, push it instead. Never lift with your back. Whenever possible lift or push with your legs.
- Get someone to help you if the item is too heavy.
- Keep your hips slightly lower than your knees, with your head up and back straight.
- Avoid slouching, or rolling your shoulders forward.
- Try to maintain the natural curve in your low back.
Reaching and Bending:
- If the item is above shoulder level, get a stool. Reaching for an object can cause neck, back, and shoulder issues.
- Do not bend over at the waist to pick up items from the floor or table.
- Kneel down on one knee to pick the item up, with the other foot flat on the floor.
- You can also bend at your knees, keeping the item close to the body, and lift with your legs.
- Keep the item as close to your body as possible.
Healthy Diet and Exercise:
- Extra weight puts strain on the spine.
- Beer belly is the worst, putting unwanted pressure on the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in your low back.
- Eat healthy.
- Sleeping on your back puts about 50 pounds of pressure on your spine.
- Placing a pillow between your knees may reduce the pressure on your back.
- Make sure you sleep in a position that your body likes and is not painful.
- Smokers heal slower when they experience back pain because the chemicals in tobacco smoke restrict the flow of blood to the tissues in and around your spine.
If you are experiencing any lower back pain, please give Wirth Chiropractic a call today so we can get you on the road to feeling better.